Sections (often called Topics) are seperate areas of a course – they’re useful if you want to group content together into related sections: Course info, Assessment etc.
How to create a section
- Login to Moodle and navigate to the course where you want to add a section.
- Make sure editing is turned on (orange button in the top right hand corner – Turn editing on).
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and locate the button with a + symbol in it below the final section – click it.
- A new Section/Topic will be added to the bottom of the page – click the pencil icon next to its name to rename it.
- Click Edit in the top right hand corner of the new section to change its settings (Edit topic).
How to hide a section
- Make sure editing is turned on in your course (orange button in the top right hand corner – Turn editing on).
- Find the section you want to hide.
- Click Edit in the top right hand corner and select Hide topic from menu that appears.
- To show the section again repeat step 3 and select Show topic.
How to create navigation buttons for your sections
- Make sure editing is turned on in your course.
- Jot down the title of each section (i.e Module Outcomes, Resources, Lectures).
- Go to the top section of your course and click Add an Activity or Resource – pick Label.
- In the Label text box find the button that looks like to angled brackets <> and click it.
- Now enter the following code:
- Make sure that each #section-1 etc corresponds to the number of sections you have and thus the number of buttons you’ll need. In the image above 4 buttons will be created:
- Click Save when you’re finished.