Skip to Navigation
Skip to Content
Skip to Search
Skip to Site Map
How to create and apply a grading rubric
- Login to Moodle and navigate to the assignment you are going to grade with a rubric.
- Edit the settings of the assignment and make sure the Grading method in the Grade section is set to Rubric.
- From the Administration panel (usually on the right hand side of the screen) select Assignment administration > Advanced grading.
- You now have two options:
- Create new grading form from a template – use this if you’ve already created a rubric that you want to reuse or modify slightly. Follow the instructions to pick an existing rubric.
- Define new grading form from scratch – use this to create your rubric. This is the option we’ll continue with.
- Give your rubric a name and set up your criteria and levels of achievement. You can add new rows and columns by clicking the Add level (column) or Add criterion (row) buttons.
- Apply any of the Rubric options that you require.
- Click Save rubric and make it ready when you’re finished.
- You can choose to store the rubric for future reuse by clicking Publish the form as a new template or edit the rubric if needed.
How to grade with a rubric
- Start grading as you would normally (instructions below in Related Pages).
- Your rubric will appear in the Grade panel above the feedback sections. Using the 4-pointer arrow in the top right hand corner of the rubric you can expand this panel.
- Select the level for each criterion in the rubric by clicking on it (it should turn green) – you can also add comments for each criterion in the comments section at the right of each row.
- Finish grading as usual.