- SafeAssign Overview (help.blackboard.com)
- Blackboard Anti-Plagiarism Training Course (view dates & times)
- Using SafeAssign (video)
SafeAssign was rolled out in 2009/2010 as the University’s originality checking service. It is important to note that it does not detect “plagiarism” as such, but instead matches text in student Assignments with other sources (including some resources on the internet, and other student submissions). You can read more general information about SafeAssign here.
Using SafeAssign in Blackboard
The University’s dishonest practice policy states that students should be allowed one “Draft” submission where they can read the SafeAssign report before they submit their “Final” assignment. To set this up, please see the SafeAssign instructions page.
However, there are some circumstances (for example, where you need to re-submit a student assignment for some reason) where you need to submit the file yourself, and you can do this by using “Direct Submit“.
How to turn the SafeAssign tool on/off
If you have tried to use SafeAssign and found it missing, or received a ‘privileges’ error message, you may need to make the tool available again by following these instructions:
- Go to Control Panel > Customisation > Tool Availability
- Find SafeAssign in the list and check its ‘availability status’.
- Anti-Plagiarism (SafeAssign) – Direct Submit
- Anti-Plagiarism (SafeAssign) – SafeAssignments
- Anti-Plagiarism (SafeAssign) Problems Submitting SafeAssignments
- Anti-Plagiarism (SafeAssign) General Information
- Anti-Plagiarism (SafeAssign) Interpreting SafeAssign Reports
- Anti-Plagiarism (SafeAssign) Service Updates & Outages