The discussion board is where asynchronous communication takes place between all members of a class – teaching staff and students. The Discussion Board is made up of a series of forums, which, in turn are made up of threads and messages.
- Discussion Board (help.blackboard.com)
- Blackboard Discussion Boards and Chat Training course (view dates & times)
- Discussion Board Tour (video)
- Rating Discussion Board Posts (video)
- Searching and Collecting Discussion Board Posts (video)
- Tagging Discussion Board Posts (video)
- Moderating Discussion Board Forums (video)
- Managing Discussion Board Roles (video)
- Creating a Discussion Board Forum (video)
- Creating a Discussion Board Thread (video)
- Changing Discussion Board Forum Settings (video)
- Replying to a Discussion Board Thread (video)
How to create a forum
Discussion boards can be added in many different ways, to a content area, to a menu item or simply accessed from the tools section. In this tutorial we will add a Discussion Board area to the course menu.
- Add a Tool Link to the course menu by clicking the + button in the top left hand corner of the menu.
- Once this is finished click on the new menu item you created and it will take you to the Discussion Board area. Here you will see any forums you already have.
- Click Create Forum to set up a new forum
- Give the forum a name, and description and decide which settings it will have
- Click Submit
- To open the forum click on its name in the list
- To start a thread click Create Thread inside the forum
How to turn the Discussion Board tool on/off:
If you have tried to use Discussion Board and found it missing, or received a ‘privileges’ error message , you may need to make the tool available again by following these instructions:
- Go to Control Panel > Customisation > Tool Availability
- Find the Discussion Board in the list and check its ‘availability status’.